Menu Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Zucchini Bread Recipe

                                        
         

       In an effort to change my families diet I spent time this Sunday at the farmers market. In Palmer there is a very small farmers market that I love. Every time I am in the area I stop by it. This particular time I picked up local honey, local milk,local homemade bread, organic purple potatoes and Zucchini. In the back of the market if you look through the sliding doors you can see the garden. I love looking to see what they will be harvesting next. I secretly wish they had a facebook page I could check daily for an excuse to drive out there more often. Its a cash only place run by an older couple. I love everything about it. 

      In Alaska everything seems to be bigger! Including the local crops. They have HUGE zucchinis. I decided I am going to make a lasagna with them. I will use the smaller ones I had at home already from the commissary (military grocery store on post) to make Zucchini Bread. 

The difference between this recipe and others is I don't add nuts. Its a texture thing for me. I have yet to have anyone complain. 

                         ~Preheat the oven to 350 degrees~


                                         The Ingredients !




          
The recipe called for 2 cups of grated zucchini. Just so happened I had this handy dandy tool that measured 2 cups for me. Perfect prep tool! 


I started with the dry ingredients. Sugar + nutmeg= AMAZING! I love nutmeg. It makes me think of the holidays. Which is my favorite time of the year. 



This was Daisy favorite part. I loved hearing Daisy excited that she was cooking. I hope to build memories with my children that involve cooking. When they smell certain smells it makes them think of home. 



Add the grated zucchini into the liquids. YUM! 



Add the liquids to the dry ingredients.


                       This recipe makes two loafs. Next time I would make them into four smaller loafs. This is a good thing to make and than freeze. 
                                                   
                                     An hour later.................




Divine!!!

I wish I could reach through the computer and give you a slice. It's just that good! 


Ingredients

3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3 cups sugar

1 cup vegetable oil

4 eggs, beaten

1/3 cup water

2 cups grated zucchini

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans


Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, nutmeg, baking soda,

 cinnamon and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine oil, eggs, water, zucchini and lemon juice. 

Mix wet ingredients into dry, add nuts and fold in. Bake in 2 standard loaf pans, sprayed

 with nonstick spray, for 1 hour, or until a tester comes out clean. Alternately, bake in 5 

mini loaf pans for about 45 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment