Menu Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Living with Bears

          In Alaska humans are not the highest on the food chain. Lets just say when I was growing up in Cincinnati, Ohio I didn't worry about leaving my trash can outside or looking around for wild life when out with my children. In Alaska this is a normal day to day event. On post (post=military installation at which a body of troops is stationed) I have found that the bears are the ones we are having issues with. Online each neighborhood on post has a group or page. On these groups or pages you are able to communicate with your neighbors. At least once a week one of these neighborhoods post photos or warnings about bears are in the area. Its comes in handy when you making plans about taking your children to the park or when to put your trash can out.

       I refuse to open a dumpster. Bears are very smart. They are able to open the sliding side of a trash can and climb in or open the top. With that being said who knows when you go to the dumpster if a bear is in it or not.That is the reality of living in Alaska. 





What you don't believe me ? Okay okay!! Here are some photos!! These are from last week.






              Photo by Paula Watkins. A momma and her baby.

         Photo by: Paula Watkins 
Is it just me or does it look like momma bear is yelling at the baby bear? 
 

                         Photo by:Jonraquelcodyevan Miller

    Photo by:Jonraquelcodyevan Miller
 

Photo by:Jolene May

Photo by: Ericka Chavez


Imagine looking out your window to see THAT! I am happy to report, I have only seen bears from my car.


 This was taken at Cottonwood park. Right down the street from me. There have been at least a dozen stories of people walking or running into this bear. Lets just say I don't plan on taking my girls to this park anytime soon. Yes, there is a park for children located near this bears den. 



This would be a bear on the side of the highway.Yes,its was by our exit... notice how I was missing it!

Tim on the other hand has been VERY close to bears. In fact,we are about to have a bear rug in our house.



When you are fishing for salmon it's VERY likely you will see a bear. When you fish it's very important to have a gun. Remember we are NOT! the highest on the food chain.Notice in the water the red...those are salmon. Pretty cool right? 
*The momma bear was no harmed in this photo*In case you thought the bear below was the same one. 



                                        Tim first bear. 
     


I stumbled across this VERY cool live camera at Brooke falls. The salmon are running(meaning coming in from the ocean to spawn). It shows the bears chasing and feasting on the salmon. This is an event people travel from all over the world to witness. With technology we get to watch it at any time. 

http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

0 comments:

Post a Comment